The uses of nitrous oxide in dentistry are primarily for sedation purposes. As a gas combined with oxygen, nitrous oxide can provide many interesting effects to help ease a patient into a lull and give them a sense of euphoria and relaxation.
Here are some things you should know about nitrous oxide:
– Nitrous oxide is better known as “laughing gas,” which can often make a child feel light-headed or relaxed for a time.
– Nitrous oxide typically wears off nearly immediately after the gas mask has been removed.
– Nitrous oxide is a mild sedative that is inhaled to assist with dental anxiety and discomfort.
– Nitrous oxide for use with inhaled sedation is considered the mildest form of sedative.
– When nitrous oxide is converted into a sedative in dentistry, it is administered by a small mask that covers your child’s nose and mouth.
No matter which dental sedation treatment your child requires, Dr. Greg Weeder and our team at Weeder Pediatric Dentistry will make sure that their oral health is properly taken care of. To schedule an oral exam or professional cleaning at our pediatric dentist office in La Vista, Nebraska, please contact us at (402) 932.1177. Come on in to learn more about your child’s options to get the bright and healthy smile they deserve!